The first steps in the personal injury claim process are to seek medical care for your injury and to find a personal injury attorney you can trust. Here are a few steps for choosing a personal injury lawyer:
- Research and contact local personal injury lawyers who have experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury cases. You may consider asking friends or family members if they have recommendations.
- Find out which lawyers will take your case on a contingency basis. Keep in mind that not all lawyers will want to or be able to take your case.
- Meet for a free consultation with attorneys (be sure to bring documentation and medical records related to your case). Shop around and choose an attorney you feel comfortable with.
Your attorney will continue the injury claim process by:
- Notifying the responsible party and the insurance company about the claim.
- Gathering more evidence about your injury.
- Negotiating a settlement with the responsible party or their insurance company.
- Filing a suit and beginning the personal injury lawsuit process if you and the defendant do not agree on a personal injury settlement amount.